According to Psychology Today, Motivation is literally "the desire to do things. It's the crucial element in setting and attaining goals—and research shows you can influence your own levels of motivation and self-control."
In other words, every single person has the ability to be who they want to be, you just need to want it badly enough to get MOTIVATED! You need a purpose... a goal... a challenge... something worth going after... as Martin Rooney says, you need to find the WHY in what you're doing. From there, you can figure out what path you need to be on and the direction your journey will take. It will be different for everyone but that doesn't make one person's purpose any more or less meaningful/important than another. You may hit bumps in the road but they serve to make you a stronger person. Learn from those bumps so you can better tailor your journey.
I keep a running list of favorite quotes that I like to refer to at times. One of my favorites is from Vince Lombardi - "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.” How bad do you want it??
If you truly want something to happen, and deem it important, you'll find a way to make it happen. If you don't, you'll find an excuse.
Some things that get me motivated are:
- Having a goal - If I have something coming up that I need to prepare for, I'm more apt to stay on track and FOCUSED.
- Telling others about this goal - The more people who know about my goal, and ask me about it, the less likely I am to give up on it.
- Surrounding myself with positive people - Negativity is NOT a breeding ground for motivation... I try to limit my time as much as possible with any "Brown Salad Sally's" that I encounter. Or "sad sacks" as my dad calls them :)
- Other people's success stories - Seeing and hearing of others achieving their goals always fires me up to achieve mine!
- Educating myself - I tend to throw myself into research for a particular goal... because the more I know, the more confident I become in my ability to reach my goal, which makes me that much more motivated to achieve it :)
- Music - Nothing keeps me going more or puts me in a better mood than a great playlist.
- Gorgeous weather - As much as I love music, I will even run outside sans iPod to take advantage of a beautiful day!
What motivates you??